My Educational Computing Vision in 5 Tweets
Last week, Ben Grey asked me, “In 5 tweets or less, can you share your vision for computing in education?” via Twitter. I’m not sure if anyone else was asked or the motivation behind the question, but I quickly rattled off the following five tweets. I could have accomplished the goal in fewer tweets, but a good tweet is a terrible thing to waste.
- The computer amplifies human potential by allowing learners to make things and explore powerful ideas otherwise impossible,
- The computer is a protean material with which you can make all sorts of shareable artifacts, theories and powerful ideas.
- The computer allows abstract ideas to be concretized through programming. simulation and modeling.
- The computer makes Papert’s “Mathland” possible where students can be mathematicians rather than being taught math.
- “The computer is an instrument whose music is ideas” – Alan Kay
There is still time to register for Constructing Modern Knowledge, the project-based learning event of the year!